Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Shooting for Getty Images




A couple weeks back I got an email notifying me that I was one of 50 iStock photographers selected by the editors at Getty to start shooting for their Stone and Image Bank collections. For those of you who aren't familiar with Getty, they are the "leading provider of digital media worldwide, creating and distributing a range of assets from royalty-free stock photography and editorial images to footage, music and multimedia – that help communicators around the globe tell their stories."

As a professional photographer, shooting for them has been something I have aspired to for quite some time. Having been rejected from even the Photographer's Choice collection earlier in the year, it was with surprise that I found myself invited to begin contributing to Stone - one of Getty Image's more prestigious Right's Managed "house collections."


If you know me, or know my photography you might have realized that I don't usually shoot with "models". My preferred style is natural light + natural life.

Speaking to my fellow photographer and good friend Patrick I was reminded that Getty chose me for what I have been doing, and for the photographic style I have. That in mind, yet still trying to push myself a bit more conceptually, the following is my first attempt at shooting for Stone...

A few things I learned:

- models don't like wet soggy dirty rabbit slippers



- nor are they as into climbing stuff as I am


- Joe Lavine is a pretty darn good art director. Thanks Joe.




- Athena freaks out when there are too many loud beeping noises


 


- me + ring flash + 16mm lens does not = fashion
- me + ring flash + 16mm lens definitely does not = beauty (sorry Tessa)

...If myspace photos are every a commodity I think I have my niche

A big thanks to Athena, Mary, Rosco, Tessa, Joan, Marcy and Joe for your help!

oh and last but not least every photo shoot should include: code names + walkie talkies

cheesepuff to killer flying squirrel...over and out

6 comments:

  1. Looks great man. Keep up the good work. I know I've said it a hundred times but I'm really happy for you and everything you've accomplished. It's an inspiration to everyone that needs to get motivated to do the things that make them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, dont forget- along with those walkie talkies every shoot needs a sheep dog costume..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for checkin in and postin your comments guys. 'preciate the good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these images are ga ga ga gaaoeorgeous!

    ReplyDelete